Get help now

Are you currently in a crisis or know someone who is? Please check our crisis support pages to find out which organisations can provide the most appropriate support depending on your circumstances.

You can:

  • Go to your nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E)

    A mental health professional should assess you and offer you the right help. You can search for your local department through the NHS choices website

  • Call 999. 

    Staff might get in touch with mental health services such as the crisis team, or an ambulance might take you to A&E.

If you or the person you know is at risk of suicide or harming myself or others but I am unlikely to act on my feelings right now. Who can I contact?

You can contact:

  • Your local NHS crisis team. The crisis team support people who are in a mental health crisis and need urgent help.  You might need a medical or social care professional to refer you to the team. But you can ask the team about this if you aren’t sure. Sometimes you can refer yourself.  You can find details of your local crisis team by putting the following into an internet search engine, “[Name of county, city, town or London borough] crisis team.” Or you can ask your GP surgery or call NHS 111.
  • Your local NHS Single Point of Access for mental health services team if you have one. Some areas have these teams but not all. You can call them, and they refer you to the right mental health support for you.  They can refer you to the local crisis team or other services. You can find details of your single point of access team by putting the following into an internet search engine, “[Name of county, city, town or London borough] single point of access team.” Or you can ask your GP surgery or call NHS 111.
  • Your NHS mental health team, if you are with one. You might be with an NHS mental health team like the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT).  If you are you can get in touch with your point of contact there. This might be someone like your care co ordinator, support worker or CPN.  If you have a copy of your care plan it should say who you can contact if you are in crisis.
  • Your GP. GPs usually keep some appointments free for urgent cases. Your GP can make a referral to the local crisis team if necessary. 
  • NHS 111. The line is for when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. You can call 111 if you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call.  Or if you need health information or reassurance about what to do next.
  • Shout text service: You can text Shout to 85258 to connect to a trained person to help you. See  for more information.
  • An emotional support line – see our list below.

What are emotional support lines?

Emotional support lines are known as ‘listening services.’ They aren’t counselling services or part of the NHS. They are there to listen to how you are feeling. You can talk to them about anything. Sharing your problems can be helpful to manage your feelings. Often people on helplines will have their own experience of mental health issues.

Some emotional support lines to try are: 

Can be contacted by telephone, letter, e-mail and mini-com. There's also a face-to-face service, available at their local branches. They are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Telephone: 116 123

Sane Line
They work with anyone affected by mental illness, including families, friends and carers. Their helpline is open between 4:40pm and 10pm every day of the year. They also provide a free text-based support service called Textcare.  And an online supportive forum community, where anyone can share their experiences of mental health issues.

Telephone: 0300 304 7000 (4:30pm – 10:30pm every evening)
Support Forum:

Support Line
Support Line provide a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue. Their opening hours vary so you need to ring them for details.

Telephone: 01708 765200

Papyrus UK
Work with people under 35 who are having suicidal feelings. And with people who are worried about someone under 35. Their helpline is open 10am – 10pm in the week. And between 2pm and 10pm at weekends and bank holidays.

Telephone: 0800 068 41 41
Text: 07786 209697

C.A.L.M. (Campaign Against Living Miserably)
Aimed specifically at men. Their helpline is open between 5pm and midnight every day of the year.
Telephone (outside London): 0800 58 58 58
Telephone (London): 0808 802 58 58
Webchat: (5pm – Midnight every day)

Aimed at people over 55. Their helpline is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Telephone:  0800 4 70 80 90

The Mix 
Aimed at people under 25. Their helpline is open between 4pm and 11pm, 7 days a week. They also run a crisis text service which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  

Telephone: 0808 808 4994
E-mail: through the website.
Crisis text message service: Text THEMIX to 85258
Webchat: through the website. (4pm - 11pm, 7 days a week)

Mood Swings
Aimed at anyone affected by a mood disorder, including friends, families and carers.  Their helpline is open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday.

Telephone: 0161 832 37 36

What other services are local to me?

The Hub of Hope website has a postcode search that you can use to find local services.  Visit their website at

We care about your privacy
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read our updated privacy policy and cookies policy