Older people and people with dementia

You might want to speak with one of our advocates if you, or someone you care for has care needs and you’re going through a Care Needs Assessment or review of your current care and support plan. Or, you might be a carer going through a Carer’s Assessment or review of your own support plan. If you or your loved one is subject to a Deprivation of Liberty order, one of our advocates may have been appointed as a Paid Relevant Person (RPR). We can help you understand what that means for you or your loved one.

Make a referral

How we can help

We can speak to care professionals or ask them questions on someone’s behalf.

What is an advocate

Advocates give people a voice and support them in expressing their wishes to professionals and services.

What is a Relevant Person's Representative?

Paid Relevant Person's Representatives (RPR) are advocates who have specialist knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards legislation.

The local authority must appoint an RPR for every person where there is an authorisation for deprivation of liberty.   The RPR can be a family member or friend or the local authority can appoint a paid advocate.  This usually happens when the person has no family or friends who can take on this role or because friends and family feel unable or do not wish to take on the role.

Sometimes the local authority will ask our service to provide an advocate to support the friend or family member who has taken on the RPR role.  The advocates role will be to help them understand what their role is and how they can be a good RPR. 

The role of the Paid Relevant Persons Representative is to:

  • Keep in contact with the person deprived of their liberty (the relevant person)
  • Represent and support the person in all matters relating to the deprivation of liberty safeguards
  • Trigger a review
  • If necessary, challenge the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards authorisation, this can be locally or can mean making a referral to the Court of Protection

Who is it for?

For people who are living with dementia, or those looking after people with dementia.  Anyone subject to a Deprivation of Liberty Order.

More information about Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.

About care needs

If you’re finding it difficult to manage certain tasks or personal care, the social services department at your local Council will be able to give you a Care Needs Assessment. This is the first step towards getting the help and support you need with everyday life, to enable you to live as independently as possible. The council will also be able to consider what information and advice would be helpful, and suggest relevant services.

Role of the advocate

The role of an advocate is to speak or ask questions on someone’s behalf. If you or someone you care for is living with dementia, an advocate can help make sure views and wishes are taken into account when decisions are being made about care, treatment, living arrangements and any other relevant considerations.

An advocate can:

  • Help you understand information you’re given
  • Help you to understand your options
  • Help you say what you think and be listened to
  • Help you say when you don’t agree with decisions
  • Ask your friends and family for their views if you want


Working with an advocate can be particularly helpful if you’re going through a Care Needs Assessment, working out a care and support plan, or if you’re involved in a safeguarding enquiry or review.


We care about your privacy
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read our updated privacy policy and cookies policy