I don’t feel able to act as my friend/relative’s Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR).

When someone has been confined in hospital or a care home under Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS), the local authority will talk to that person’s relatives and friends to identify a Relevant Person’s Representative. If they feel no one is appropriate to act in this role, they will appoint an advocate to act in that person’s interests.


Someone has been confined under Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, specific freedoms have been removed from them in their best interests. It’s likely to mean they’re not free to leave the place where they’re being cared for, and are under close supervision. These measures are only used if it’s the least restrictive way of keeping a person safe, or making sure they get the right medical treatment. An individual in this situation still has rights, which are detailed in the Mental Capacity Act.

More about the Mental Capacity Act



The local authority has decided to appoint a paid advocate rather than a family member or friend, the reasons should have been clearly outlined by the Best Interest Assessor. If you are wondering why you or another person hasn’t been appointed as the Relevant Person’s Representative, you should contact the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) team to ask for the reasons why.

Needs link


Self-help Resources

Would you like some help to speak up for yourself and ask for the things that are important to you, or help someone you know with this?

View our resources

Self-help resources

Get support for yourself, a family member or someone you care for.

We care about your privacy
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read our updated privacy policy and cookies policy