I don’t feel able to look after myself anymore. Can I get some help?

Yes, help is available if you’re finding it difficult to look after yourself. The social services department at Essex County Council can give you a Care Needs Assessment, which will consider help and support to help you manage everyday tasks and live as independently as possible. They will also be able to give you information, advice and suggest services.


You have been offered a Care Needs Assessment and you’re finding the process difficult, we might be able to help. An advocate can take you through the information you’ve been given, consider services you’ve been recommended, explore options, and help you communicate with others. We might also be able to support you if you’re going through a review of an existing care and support plan.

Get in touch



Decisions are being made about the care and support you need, it’s important you have a voice. One of our Care Act Advocates might be able to support you if you don’t feel confident enough to speak up for yourself, or be fully involved in decisions, and you don’t have a family member or friend to help you.

More about care and support needs

Self-help resources

Would you like some help to speak up for yourself and ask for the things that are important to you, or help someone you know with this?

View our resources

Self-help resources

Get support for yourself, a family member or someone you care for.

We care about your privacy
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read our updated privacy policy and cookies policy